Keeping up with eating healthy has been fun. It gives me a great perspective into new ingredients. The local supermarket stocks up Puffed Lotus seeds. This was an accidental discovery when my toddler picked up a pack imagining it to be Popcorn. Yeah ! She has a penchant to pick up lot of things in her Shopping bag and while billing , i’m surprised to see Tea Masala , Pumpin Seeds and ofcourse tonnes of Chocolates. Usually I spend around 5 Minutes returning everything back to its counter. This time around , I wanted to try the Puffed Lotus Seeds.
This recipe is a simple snack for Tea time. I’ve spiced it up well to suit the Indian palate. Ofcourse you could tone down the spice.
- 2 Cups Puffed Lotus Seeds
- 3 to 4 Red Dry Cillies – made into halves
- 1/2 Tea spoon Mustard seeds
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Ghee / Clarified Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Peanuts ( Optional )
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Couple of curry leaves ( Optional )
- A pinch o turmeric powder
Take a shallow pan and add Ghee. Crackle to mustard seeds , add the asafoetida , peanuts and the curry leaves, Dry Red Chillies and roast them for a minute. To this add the Turmeric Powder , Salt , Sugar and the Puffed Lotus seeds. Comibine everything and keep stirring them to avoid the burning.
Time taken : As long as it took me to make a Cup of Masala Chai 🙂
You can read more about the Health Benefits of Lotus seeds here :
- Thoughts of a Native Son – http://juskosave.blogspot.in/2012/04/health-matters-wonders-of-lotus-seed.html
- Home Remedies – http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/herbs/lotus-seed.html