Here is a Mid-week quick Soup. Honestly , I had saved up a fresh Broccoli for a Stir Fry and the least expected event happened , my 5 yr old Fridge went Kaput , I had the door coming off and this was unheard of earlier. I’ve seen refrigerators lasting for ages and these days , who would have heard of a door coming off.And with the entire cooling off , the Broccoli turned pale in 2 days. And so with no options for a meal , I turned the Stir fry into a soup. It worked well for a cold rainy day.
This recipe is a Paleo version of the Cream of Broccoli Soup. It has the goodness of the cruciferous Broccoli with Essential Vitamins , Antioxidants and Minerals
For Broccoli Soup
Broccoli – 3 Cups chopped Broccoli florets and stems
1 Onion – Chopped
2 Green Chilies
1 Bay leaf
Ginger – 1 inch length peeled
Salt to taste
1 Cup Water
Dill leaves for Garnish
For the Cashew Cream
8 to 10 Cashew Nuts
1 Teaspoon Water
1) In a Pan / Pressure cooker , add some water , broccoli , chopped onions , green chilies , Ginger , Bay leaf and cook them for 10 minutes. ( 2 whistles in a Pressure cooker )
2) Once the Broccoli cools down , remove the Bay Leaf ( This is only for flavor ), puree everyting in batches in a blender/ food processor. Add water* and salt and set it aside.
3) In the meantime make the cashew cream. Microwave the cashew nuts on High for 2 to 3 Minutes. Again make a soft cream out of this by adding 1 Teaspoon water and a tiny bit of salt in a blender.
4) Pour the soup in a bowl and top it with some cream , Dill Leaves and serve!
1) You can vary the number of Cashew Nuts to alter the amount of cream. 8 to 10 cashews approximately make 1 tablespoon of Cashew cream.
2) Do not puree the Bay leaf , else the Soup will have very hard fiber in it. The Bay leaf helps with flavor only.
3) You can soak the cashew nuts for 20 to 30 minutes alternatively. I have used the MW option to save a whole lot of time.