No , this is not a guided tour to Kerala – the God’s own country :). This post is just to show the excitement of this special day to one of the cultures in India. It ushers in greenery and celebrates the Harvest. Onam is a very happy festival and the reason I love Onam more is because it is secular and is celebrated by everyone with the same amount of enthusiasm. It lasts for four days and the entire duration is a huge celebration where everyone comes together. To most of my Malayali friends , it is one of the most cherished times in a year and for foodie friends such as me , it is just ” another ” reason to enjoy an amazing Onam Sadya / a Vegetarian feast.
A typical Onam Sadya has close to 11 to 14 vegetarian dishes , including curries , payasam , rice , Vegetables , Pappad , Rice , Buttermilk. There is more to the entire sadya and the significance of it. This write up was fairly interesting and informative.
Well on a normal day , I wouldn’t miss the Onam Sadya for anything in the world , but being Paleo needs dedication and discipline , so to keep with the fervor of celebrating Onam , here is my next recipe for a simple , yet delectable Cabbage Thoran. Simply put , it is a fantastic Indian Vegetarian Paleo recipe 🙂
- 1 Cabbage shredded into thin strips.
- 1 Onion – finely chopped
- 3 to 4 Chilies ( Vary the spice based on your palate )
- 2 Teaspoons Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup grated coconut
- Pinch of Turmeric
- Pinch of asafoetida ( Optional )
- 6 to 7 Curry Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds ( Optional )
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard seeds
- Take a mixing bowl and mix the shredded cabbage , chopped chilies , curry leaves , cumin seeds , turmeric, coconut, onion and salt. Set it aside for a couple of minutes.
- Take a pan , add the oil. Once the oil is hot , crackle the mustard seeds , add the asafoetida and mix the cabbage into the oil and saute it until the cabbage is cooked and serve hot.
- You can add the coconut once the cabbage is cooked , if you like the taste of fresh coconut along with cabbage. By adding the coconut in the beginning and cooking it ensures that it does not overpower the cabbage.
- You can also make a green chili paste and mix it with the cabbage if you like it really spicy. By chopping it , you can remove the chili just before eating so that the spice is mild.