Making a Gnocchi has been a dream for a long time. I have always been in love with these small potato dumplings that is served in Italian restaurants. It’s traditionally made with cheese, flour, egg and whatever other ingredients the chef decides to add. When I finally made an attemt , I tried the Paleo version Gnocchi which is Grain free and wholesome.
The recipe is adapted from one of my favourite blogs – Popular Paleo. The post on Gnocchi saved me a whole lot of trial and error and I am extremely glad to have nailed these Fluffy heavenly bites the very first time.
Ingredients – Gnocchi
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 cup of Arrowroot powder
- Pinch os salt
- 1/2 Egg* ( Break the egg into a bowl and whisk it. Use only half of the egg for the Gnocchi)
Procedure – Making the Gnocchi
- Wash and dice the Sweet Potato into 2 Inch portions.
- Boil them in hot water for 15 minutes/ Pressure cook for 7 to 8 minutes
- Cool the sweet potatoes and mash them. Ensure that there are no lumps
- Add salt , half an egg and mix them well.*
- Slowly add the flour and mix them until the dough is manageable*
- Roll them into thin logs with some arrowroot powder on your palms so that it doesnt stick to your hands,
- Once you have rolled them into thin Logs , cut them into equal 1/2 inch bite size portions
- Take a fork and make them flat. This gives the gnocchi mixture a good pattern as well.
- Line them up on a baking tray and bake them at 180 degree centigrade/ 350 Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Your Gnocchi is ready to go with a beautiful sauce.
Ingredients – Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Puree – 1 Cup
- 1 Tomato diced
- 1 Onion diced
- 1/4 Cup Zucchini diced into thin cubes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper for seasoning
- Couple of ripe olives
- Italian herbs for seasoning
- Garlic – 2 Teaspoons finely chopped
- Chili flakes ( Optional and based on individual preference of spice )
Procedure – For the Tomato Sauce
- In a saucepan , heat some oil and cook the onions and garlic until the onions turn pink.
- Add the tomato puree , diced tomatoes and zucchini and stir them on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Season it with salt , pepper , chili flakes , herbs and olives.
Cooking the Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce.
When the Tomato Sauce is ready , add the Gnocchi in and slowly mix the contents. Be gentle to avoid the gnocchi from breaking away.
Garnish it with some ripe olives , Olive oil and serve hot!
- The amount o arrowroot powder may vary based on the consistency of the Potato mash. The current recipe used the Powder and the Potato mash in 1:1 ratio and 1/2 an egg ( Yellow and white whisked together. )
- You can use Tapioca flour instead of Arrowroot powder.
- The tradition gnocchi uses Royal Blue Potatoes and the Gnocchi is cooked in Boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes. Since the Paleo version uses the Sweet Potato , it is more advisable to bake the Gnocchi
- 1/2 Egg* ( Break the egg into a bowl and whisk it. Use only half of the egg for the Gnocchi). You can use the entire egg and add more flour to make the dough manageable.