We shied away from Butter Chicken for years with a fear of high calorie consumption. Up until now , the entire idea of High and Low calories were more of a myth to me. When you can make home cooked food , you can always control the ingredients and make it as healthy and wholesome as possible and not miss some comfort food.
The Paleo Butter chicken is extremely simple to make and tastes brilliant.
- 250 Gms of Chicken cut into cubes ( preferably boneless)
- 1 large Onion – diced
- 3 Tomatoes – made into a puree
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder ( can be varied according to the spice tolerance)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger and Garlic paste mixed
- Salt to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Ghee / Clarified butter
- 1 Bay leaf for flavour
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk ( Can make it fresh or use the coconut milk from the can )
- Wash and marinate the chicken with Ginger garlic paste , turmeric , salt, Coriander powder , chili powder and garam masala for 30 minutes in a fridge.
- In a pan add the ghee , bay leaf , onions and fry them until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the marinated chicken into the onions and fry them for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and coconut milk and let the chicken cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Garnish it with onion and a dollop of butter.
I have made the Butter chicken a little dry in this recipe since we eat them as a Main dish. If you’d like to have this with some Bread/Roti/Rice , please add a little water to this dish.
If you do try the Butter chicken a little dry , squeeze some lime juice ( teeny bit only ), It enhances the taste beautifully.